Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filter designs: Cone vs flat vs round. Any advantage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter designs: Cone vs flat vs round. Any advantage?

I was thinking again, does any filter design have a particular advantage? Seems like most of the after market kits (K&N, AirAid, Mac, etc) all use a cone style filter, even Volant uses one in their sealed air box. Is there a reason why? I like my OEM intake with the Ram-Air set up but was wondering if a round filter inside the air box would be better than the flat one. Is there an advantage to the maf being connected directly to the filter like in the after market ones? Seems like it pulls the air directly through the filter that way. The OEM sytle, the MAF connects to the air box and sucks air through the top of the air box, which I guess pulls the air through the filter. I might try another experiment using a round 5.7L Vortec filter. I have an extra OEM air box, I might try and make it fit and connect it directly to the MAF. What you all think?
Jim
Old 06-22-2002, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Air filter designs: Cone vs flat vs round. Any advantage?

as far as flow goes i dont see it making any large difference on the cars. but what are the surface areas of the cone filters versus the flat filters? might be something to look at?

bryan