Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold stud

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust manifold stud

Well today trying to take off my stock y pipe i rounded off 2 nuts on the manifold side. Im at work right now and was gonna grab a small burr to cut the nuts off, anyone know the thread size and pitch on the stud so i can chase them if i burr too deep?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe they are just a 3/8" ... i got some from my local parts store and they were just GM exhaust studs or something like that..
Old 03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lpguy
Well today trying to take off my stock y pipe i rounded off 2 nuts on the manifold side. Im at work right now and was gonna grab a small burr to cut the nuts off, anyone know the thread size and pitch on the stud so i can chase them if i burr too deep?
I thinks its metric 8MM..take an extra nut with your to work to confirm. Sears has these nifty rounded nut remove tools. They have curved teith cut back wards so when you are loosening the dig in harder..
Great care when cutting off a nut not to damage the thread or cut to deep into the studd,, it will weeken it.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

damn these seem like they are made out of aluminum... tried those rounded nut tools only rounded them some more...
Old 03-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Launching!

can anyone tell me if these studs are pressed in the manifold? Any advice on getting them out if they are? I should be able to get replacements at autozone or something right?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:55 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not pressed in, I would recomend heating the manifold around the stud with a torch. You could also try welding a nut on what is left of the stud...
Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a bolt that got stuck last week. Kyle took a torch and chopped off the head and all was good. He even got the broken studs out, but I don't know how
Old 03-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I had the same thing happen on my old truck, I just cut it off and removed the manifold. Then drilled out the old broken stud and installed a bolt in its place. I personally hate studs in exhaust setups. With a bolt if it ever strips or gets siezed in place I just cut it off and install a new one. JMO. Its a little tricky to drill out the manifold stud, just start small then work up if you are going to do it.

Anytime I know I am going to be unbolting anything in the exhaust I spray the bolts etc. down with Aero Kroil or PB blaster ahead of time and let it soak in. This has worked great to do it that way.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Yah i soaked em in pb blaster before i started... just didnt do the trick... I ended up cutting off the flange part of the nut and then it came off without screwing up the stud... im only getting to work on it a little each day. I get tomorrow off so ill have alot of progress and ill post some pics of the new trick kit...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Any updates, what did you figure out with the manifold stud?

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold stud