Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

What would cause positive camber?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause positive camber?

My truck is droppped 4-6 and I have had it aligned at different shops and they always tell me the camber is maxed out. The top of the wheel leans out only on one side. I have lower control arms and Im not for sure about the springs. do you think a heated and cut spring would cause this?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is lowered 4-6 with lower control arms it is a DJM kit, you need upper control arms to correct the camber. I think the nature of the drop is a split between dropping the coil spring and raising the spindle mount on the LCA. Think about the moving the front suspension up 4 inches via the LCA and the way it pivots on the frame. You will understand that as the frontend compresses or pivots the top of the tire tilts in....thus negative chamber. I had a 1500 lowered 4-6 and I think I was out like -1 or -2 on one side so he made both match. My Yukon is lowered 3 inches with LCAs from DJM and it's alignment is dead nuts on, I just took my dually today and had it aligned after dropping it 6" in the front and it aligned perfectly with adjustment left. It uses upper and lower control arms. I called DJM when I had my 1500 and they said I needed uppers to compliment the lowers
Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ exactly why i took out my 2" djm lcas,im going 4" soon.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has positive camber though, upper control arms will make it worse. Have never heard anyone having positive camber with just the lower arms. Some have negative camber and max the camber out trying to get it even. Then the uppers help.

You sure you don't have the uppers too? If so, remove them and try getting an alignment again.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Im almost positive i dont have uppers. The uppers are black and do not have the adjustable balljoint, whereas the LCA has the spotted grey DJM paint. every solution ive seen is to fix a negative camber and this is positive camber. i almost wish i had negative camber because then i would know what to do. i still have a feeling it has something to do with the springs. i was thinking about taking them out and placing them side by side to see if the heights are different. i think i also have drop spindles because i remember the shop giving me the oem LCA's with the Spindles still attached
Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spindles wouldn't affect steering at all it just changes the hub location. I was thinking negative the whole time I was typing that first responce. Has the truck ever been wrecked, is it possible to check if maybe they didnt seat the coil correctly? I have no idea what would cause positive, usually as stated the issue is negative chamber, call DJM they have been super helpful with me
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

I've been trying to think of something, only thing I can come up with is the truck was wrecked before and not fixed correctly, or the camber isn't really maxed. But you say more than one shop has said it was maxed, so that takes the 2nd one out unless they are just retarded. I really don't see the springs, spindles, or control arms (other than upper and yes they would have the spec paint on them) making your camber positive. As you go lower, its that much harder to achieve any positive camber. When you lift a truck, it makes it harder to achieve negative camber. Maybe take a pic of your upper control arms so we can see if the camber really is maxed.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

+1 we need pics, the shop could be retarded..

take pics of front shots of both wheels in reference to the fenders and body. Also turn the wheel and get a shot of where the control arms mount.

Also, FYI Belltech makes a camber kit, however I do believe its only for negative.. could be wrong
Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Im not really for sure what you wanted me to take pictures of. These where taken with my phone camera so if they are not easy to see I can get the 10MP camera. Ive had this truck since 11K miles and I got it from a dealership, so im pretty sure its never been wrecked. However, I did buy the drop used from another truck, but I do not see anything bent or anything that seems odd.
Name:  0808091229.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  91.1 KB
Name:  0808091230.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  100.1 KB
Name:  0808091227b.jpg
Views: 4242
Size:  77.4 KB
Name:  0808091228.jpg
Views: 3957
Size:  81.2 KB
Name:  0808091228a.jpg
Views: 2269
Size:  100.0 KB
Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have positive camber on the right front, and that is what you're asking about, the alignment tech needs to go back to class. He has both adjusters maxxed out for positive camber. Any chance you could post the printout of alignment specs?

Quick Reply: What would cause positive camber?