INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 pcv ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 pcv ?

Do the 5.3s have the oil in intake problems that the ls1s have? Would the ls6 valley pan mod be beneficial or just run a catch can? Jay
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, all of the GENIII's do...I run a catch can myself, but have heard good things about the LS6 valley cover conversion...that's the cleaner way to do it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:36 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone here elaborate on the oil problems ? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:51 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GENIII engines consume an excessive amount of oil through the PCV system, GM re-designed the PCV valve, but it doesn't work. I heard that they re-designed the baffles in the valve covers but I'm not sure if they're available yet, or if they work.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

isnt the pcv valve a fixed orfice type and in the valve cover? asking cause thats what i thought id heard somewhere and not sure..
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skolman91
isnt the pcv valve a fixed orfice type and in the valve cover? asking cause thats what i thought id heard somewhere and not sure..
Yes if yours has the new one in it. The ls6 mod draws from the valley pan and not right by the rockers that need oil. Jay
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

They went to what they call "fixed venturi" PCV which if you thing about the way the PCV system is designed to work the PCV valve can NOT be fixed. It needs to be variable and two way to work properly. If they put extra baffles in there I guess that would turn the area under Bank 1 rocker cover into a big catch can of sorts. I went to Harbor Freight and got a OIL/WATER separator for an air compressor for $8 and two hose barbs at $2 each. An other $2 for 3 feet of 3/8" hose and you've got a catch can for under $20. After seeing what you find in your catch can you'll wish you had one on there from day one. In areas of high humidity you'll also find water in your catch can(or water and oil mixed-MILKY) which is the result of condensation in your oil pan after the engine goes through cold soak.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6
Yes if yours has the new one in it. The ls6 mod draws from the valley pan and not right by the rockers that need oil. Jay
you mean the new valve? when did that come out? and has it always been in that spot(in the cover) for ls motors besides the valley cover spot for ls6's..?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
you mean the new valve? when did that come out? and has it always been in that spot(in the cover) for ls motors besides the valley cover spot for ls6's..?
I believe what he ment was you have new valve if you have the newer style fixed orifice style PCV. If I recall correctly, they started using them in '04 and the PCV has always been in the same location on the LS style truck motors.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
They went to what they call "fixed venturi" PCV which if you thing about the way the PCV system is designed to work the PCV valve can NOT be fixed. It needs to be variable and two way to work properly. If they put extra baffles in there I guess that would turn the area under Bank 1 rocker cover into a big catch can of sorts. I went to Harbor Freight and got a OIL/WATER separator for an air compressor for $8 and two hose barbs at $2 each. An other $2 for 3 feet of 3/8" hose and you've got a catch can for under $20. After seeing what you find in your catch can you'll wish you had one on there from day one. In areas of high humidity you'll also find water in your catch can(or water and oil mixed-MILKY) which is the result of condensation in your oil pan after the engine goes through cold soak.
Pics would be cool of your setup!

Quick Reply: 5.3 pcv ?