Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with LS2 intake install onto LR4 4.8L truck engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with LS2 intake install onto LR4 4.8L truck engine

coloradoV8headerandls2intakefitup034.jpg?t=1292480451

coloradoV8headerandls2intakefitup032.jpg?t=1292480451

coloradoV8headerandls2intakefitup052.jpg?t=1292480451

Hey guys here is a break down I got of the web, and just wondering what I need, and want I can reuse from my truck etc..?

I bought a LS2 intake manifold of a 06 GTO and I also bought the fuel rails from a 06 GTO. I bought a 06 SSR 4 bolt throttle body, and injector top hat spacers, and I will also need to sapce the rails up 1/4". I also bought part number 555 valley cover beacuse it has the breather in it, and is suposed to use less oil consumption than taiking the PVC from the vavle covers. And I have a new map sensor

I fitted up the intake and my coolant cross over tube can be reused just had to bend it down a little. and I will cut off the ideler bracket and relocate it, the SSR throttle body seems to clear the 07' truck pump just fine!

My questions;
-706. Oil Pressure Sensor can I reuse the truck one? I think it is in the block not this cover?

-730. EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve & 741. EVAP Purge Valve Bracket & 729. Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Tube.
Can I use the truck soliniod it has no bracket? Other wise were can I get EVAP hoses and the bracket aftermarket or used? What do most poeple do with this when they swap to a LS2 intake?

716. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Hose – Dirty Air Is this just a hose or does it have a PCV valve in it some where? and where does the intake for the PCV hose go to? Do I cap the old lines on the valve covers?

712. Fuel Injection Fuel Rail Stop Bracket What the heck is this for? What is it's purpose, do I really need it? Where do I get it from?
512. Bolt intake manifold Are these the same as the LS6 intake cause someone posted them as being M6X100
110mm long Is this right for a LS2 as well?

538. Bolt throttle body mmmm wonder what length these are? I asumme they are M6 as well?

513. Seal I think I could just cut down my seals from the truck intake, seems lie they are just chunks of foam?

Any help would be apreciatied Thanks -Jamie!

1408839.gif?t=1292478797

100. Engine Block
307. Engine Coolant Air Bleed Pipe
308. Seal
308. Seal
309. Bolt
312. Bolt
313. Engine Coolant Air Bleed Cover
500. Intake Manifold
506. Bolt
508. Throttle Body
509. Throttle Body Gasket
510. Fuel Rail with Injectors
511. Bolt
512. Bolt
513. Seal
514. Intake Manifold Gasket
537. Seal
538. Bolt
555. Valley Cover
556. Valley Cover Gasket
557. Fuel Rail Ground Strap
706. Oil Pressure Sensor
707. Washer
712. Fuel Injection Fuel Rail Stop Bracket
714. Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
715. Seal
716. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Hose – Dirty Air
729. Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Tube
730. EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve
731. Service Valve Cap
734. Service Valve
735. EVAP Canister Purge Tube
740. EVAP Tube Clip
741. EVAP Purge Valve Bracket
742. Bolt
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates on this? looking into this on my truck
Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Updates!! LOL I forgot I posted here truck is complete now.

My questions;
-706. Oil Pressure Sensor can I reuse the truck one? I think it is in the block not this cover? Yes this is on the bock, and is not the same, also you must use a LS6 valley cover if you have the knock sensors on the top, or a LS3 cover if they are in the side of the block. You can use the truck valley cover, it won't be as neat, and may burn a little more oil, also you would have to do something totally different for the PVC valve.

-730. EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve & 741. EVAP Purge Valve Bracket & 729. Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Tube.
Can I use the truck soliniod it has no bracket? Other wise were can I get EVAP hoses and the bracket aftermarket or used? What do most people do with this when they swap to a LS2 intake? I wound up getting a used setup from a 06 GTO it mounts to the right cylinder head, the connector plugged right in.

716. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Hose – Dirty Air Is this just a hose or does it have a PCV valve in it some where? and where does the intake for the PCV hose go to? Do I cap the old lines on the valve covers? I capped the driver side valve cover PVC fitting, with a vacuum cap, then I ran a 3/8" nipple into my intake elbow (Between the Maf and the throttle body) for fresh air it connects to the passenger side PVC valve cover nipple.

If you use the LS3 valley cover, the PVC valve is integral, the LS6 valley cover needs a 2004 corvette PVC valve, you can make up a hose, using heater hose, a barbed fitting, hose clamps, and 3/8" hose. More on this later

712. Fuel Injection Fuel Rail Stop Bracket What the heck is this for? What is it's purpose, do I really need it? Where do I get it from?

Never used this, still don't know if it really is needed? I think it is just to prevent leakage in a hard crash.
512. Bolt intake manifold Are these the same as the LS6 intake cause someone posted them as being M6X100
110mm long Is this right for a LS2 as well? I can't member I think this length worked.

538. Bolt throttle body mmmm wonder what length these are? I asumme they are M6 as well? M6 for sure not sure on the length

513. Seal I think I could just cut down my seals from the truck intake, seems like they are just chunks of foam? Bought a LS2 intake seal kit from Napa they came with it.

Any help would be apreciatied Thanks -Jamie!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

making room for a V8 engine 4 banger coming out! FINISHED added videos! - Page 8 - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

check out page 8 for info on running a custom belt step to clear the truck accessory's, I also ran a 06 SSR 88mmthrottle body
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

did you see any gains by swapping to the ls2 intake over the truck style..?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

PCV Valve Recommendation / Housing Modification

Check out this article for making up the PVC hose.

Also I had to bend the coolant cross over pipe down a bit, and clearance the alt. bracket for it. I also used injector Top hat spacers, fator bottom orings and removed the plastic spacers on the tips, then spaced the fuel rails up a 1/4"with a couple of washers. This was to reuse the truck style injectors.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by max1
did you see any gains by swapping to the ls2 intake over the truck style..?
Well I had no reference before, I am making 314 horse power on a 4.8L

- long tube headers
- SSR throttle body, MAF, computer, throttle pedal
-06 GTO LS2 intake, rails, fuel rail cover, and Evap soliniod

The Ls2 intake lets me rev till 6000 rpm. I heard you loose torque but gain power switching the the LS2, I had no choice the truck intake would not fit.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Assuming this motor is in a car? Otherwise why sacrifice torque for looks and or clearance? I personally would have kept the truck intake for the torque ratings and put my energy towards finding a Cowl Hood.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Thumper215
Assuming this motor is in a car? Otherwise why sacrifice torque for looks and or clearance? I personally would have kept the truck intake for the torque ratings and put my energy towards finding a Cowl Hood.
LOL.... ok!!

Yeah you don't think I didn't try to make that mother f*cker fit!! Anyway it is not in a car it is in a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado, and I would have had to cut pretty deep into he cowl, plus, pull the dash and remove the insulation so I could weld up the fire wall properly, then body work and repaint, also I would need a cowl hood to clear the intake elbow at the front.

After trying to fit the motor three times, I realized that intake, just wasn't going to cut it. Unfortunate, because It cost alot to fit the car intake to a truck motor .... intake, rails, spacers, throttle body, custom accessory drive, GTO evap, LS6 valley cover, gaskets, bolts... etc
Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lr4 colorado v8
LOL.... ok!!

Yeah you don't think I didn't try to make that mother f*cker fit!! Anyway it is not in a car it is in a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado, and I would have had to cut pretty deep into he cowl, plus, pull the dash and remove the insulation so I could weld up the fire wall properly, then body work and repaint, also I would need a cowl hood to clear the intake elbow at the front.

After trying to fit the motor three times, I realized that intake, just wasn't going to cut it. Unfortunate, because It cost alot to fit the car intake to a truck motor .... intake, rails, spacers, throttle body, custom accessory drive, GTO evap, LS6 valley cover, gaskets, bolts... etc
Well I guess the figures add up. I know the truck intake performs just as well as the LS6 and better than the LS2's as I wanted to swap intakes as well simply for the cleaner look... But then again I didn't want to make my DD into a hanging project.

But good luck bro

Quick Reply: Help with LS2 intake install onto LR4 4.8L truck engine