Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

awd

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default awd

I am trying to decide what to do next, and I have been considering a chevy/gmc rcsb 4x4 and doing an awd conversion on it. This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Has anyone successfully done this? I know it uses the 4l60 but wondering if the transfer case from a silverado ss would work in the new body style trucks... if not, does anyone know of one that will? It will be a fairly mild truck with probably a tvs blower bc it will be my new daily driver. A denali front end and drop will def be done as well if I end up doing this on a sierra. First I need to figure this out though, if not I'll probably end up buying and building an awd rcsb ss clone on a nbs truck. Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The NVG-149 as used in the ’03 thru ’05 ½ Silverado SS, ’01 GMC C³, ’02 thru ’07 Classic Sierra Denali, ’01 / ’02 Yukon Denali and ’02 Escalade is a very versatile unit. There shouldn’t be much of an issue with most swaps beings the transfer-case uses no electronics for function and is instead totally mechanical in nature. The only connection is the VSS. You would need specific drive-shafts built for it, as the “149” is not the same dimensionally as the typical 4WD unit you would be replacing. You may be able to get away with using a front drive-shaft from an AWD GMT-800 and it end up being the correct length. The rear will most likely need to be made unless you get lucky and find something close from another vehicle. The swap has been made several times into GMT-800 4WD’s, and I really don’t see where it should be much different into a GMT-900.

Good luck, I really hope to see you pull it off.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Bear. The NVG-149 is exactly what I had in mind. I have seen it done plenty on the 800's just wasn't sure if mounting points and so forth were gonna be a big issue. If the dimensions are the same, I should be to use the t-case and front d/s from the GMT800 and then just have to deal with the rear. I hope to see it done too. A rcsb Denali in boosted awd trim would be FUN!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't go wrong with the awd setup its awesome
Old 12-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Launching!

I'm actually toying with the same idea. RCSB 5.3 with the 6l80E, awd conversion, lowered, trick or kb turbo kit. I just never can actually buy something before I change my mind.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by operatorfailure
I'm actually toying with the same idea. RCSB 5.3 with the 6l80E, awd conversion, lowered, trick or kb turbo kit. I just never can actually buy something before I change my mind.

its a very good idea. I just picked up a kb turbo kit last week (real nice kit and quality btw) I cant wait to put it on. jut ordered about $400 on seals and gaskets for the install
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

How about with the 6 speed trans. I just saw where you could get the new six speeds in a single cab now. I've been waiting for this for a while. Anyone know how in depth it would be to go from selectable 4wd to awd? It it a simple as with the earlier 4Lxx transmissions?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:36 AM
Launching!

That is one of the main reasons I am looking at buying a new truck. I have been wanting to do an awd 80e turbo rcsb for years and now they have one I wouldn't have to do a tranny swap on. I'm guessing it won't take much more than the normal input shaft swap on the 149 T-case but I don't know for sure.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I just wondering if bolt holes and everything lines up as it would on the GMT800 trucks, or if it is as simple as getting a awd transfer case from a 6L80 Denali or escalade.... And then what else would need to be done.... This is gonna be pretty awesome if it is that simple!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It would probably be a more straight forward swap using a 6L80E / AWD combination. It may require some additional wiring unlike the NVG-149, but everything else would probably go smoother. The downside for me would be that the BorgWarner cases used in the newer Denali’s are an open differential style that works in conjunction with the ABS to distribute the power.

On a side note, I know of a fellow that purchased a complete L92/6L80E/AWD set-up just for the engine and was looking to unload the 6L80E/AWD case. I don’t recall exactly what he wanted, but when he told me I thought it seemed dirt cheap. That and at the time he couldn’t find any takers on it, so it’s very likely he still has it.

Quick Reply: awd